Let’s see how we can solve the Steam Content File Locked issue down here. Are you a Steam user whose steam content file has been locked? If that’s the case, this issue is most likely stopping you from upgrading the game. Therefore you won’t be able to play it unless you install the game update. Get Free Hulu Accounts here.
But you don’t have to worry since this article will explain how to handle content file locked problems on Steam, and you can then follow the steps to resolve them. But first, let’s take a brief look at the situation.
Steam Content File Locked Issue
When a user attempts to update a game on Steam, this error happens. This might be due to Steam’s inability to write any file changes to the hard disc. As a result, when it fails to update the file, it generates a Steam Content File Locked error.
Furthermore, users claim that this game contains csgo content file locked, pubg content file locked, space engineers content file locked, Dota 2 content file locked, paladins content file locked, smite content file locked, miscreated content file locked, payday two content file locked, and ark content file locked.
This issue is not restricted to the games listed above. It may happen in any Steam game. Fortunately, the administrator will show you how to unlock a protected content file on Steam. You can even have a look at the best Clubhouse Alternatives.
How to Unlock a Steam Content File Locked Error
Now, without further ado, let’s get to the steam content file-locked solution.
1. Locate and Repair Corrupted Files
There may be corrupt files, and issues may arise as a result of these files. You can try to locate and delete the damaged files, and Steam will automatically download them again.
To accomplish this, follow the instructions below:
- Close Steam and browse to your Steam directory as the first step. The majority of them are stored in C: / Program Files (x86) / Steam. If you choose another place during installation, you must browse it.
- Go to the ‘logs’ folder and open the ‘txt’ file.
- After you’ve opened the file, scroll to the bottom and search for any recent problems.
- Various errors may be displayed here, including the date and time, APPID, and problem description.
- You must now browse to the mod’s root folder and remove it.
- When you restart Steam, you will notice that it requests an update because you removed the file. After then, check to see if the problem has been resolved.
2.Relocate the Steam installation and game files
Another option is to move the Steam Installation and Game files. Relocating Steam to a different place can solve the problem, so let’s do that.
Follow the instructions below:
- Open Steam and go to the Settings menu.
- Click ‘Download’ and then ‘Steam Library Folders.
- Creating a new Steam path is now time, so click on ‘Add Library Folder’ and enter a new path.
- You must now relocate the file from its existing location to the new location.
- Close Steam right now.
- Now, navigate Steam’s current location on the C drive (C: \ Program Files \ Steam).
- Cut all files and folders from this place and paste them into the new location you’ve chosen.
- You must now relaunch Steam and sign in to your account.
If you’re having trouble migrating files and folders from their prior location to the new location or relaunching them, check out the instructions below and follow along.
The first step is to shut down Steam.
- The first step is to shut down Steam.
- Now, navigate to the spot where you transferred all of your files and folders, i.e., the new location.
- Locate the ‘SteamApps’ folder and drag it to your desktop.
- Now comes the arduous task of uninstalling Steam. You may uninstall Steam by navigating to Control Panel–> Programs and Features, right-clicking it and selecting Uninstall. This will remove Steam from your computer.
- Install Steam once again.
- Transfer the SteamApps folder to the new location where you installed the game. With this step, you will have access to all saved games and data.
- Now launch Steam and sign in to your account.
- Check the status of the problem now.
The Winsock catalog might cause the issue. To execute the command to reset Winsock, follow the instructions below.
- Enter run into the Windows search box and right-click the first item that appears. Click the Run as administrator button.
- Now, in the Run box, run netsh Winsock reset and press Enter.
- The command will be executed, and your system will be restarted to determine whether or not the problem has been resolved.
4.Run a disc scan
Occasionally, the game and its contents are perfectly OK, but the hard disc on which the files are stored is corrupted. There might be faulty sectors on the drive, preventing access to a portion of the disc. Because of faulty sectors, disc speed is slowing.
You must now determine whether the issue is connected to your hard drive. To check the disc for faulty sectors, try performing a scan with “Disc Check.” To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Press the Windows logo key + R, type cmd, and press Enter.
- Enter the command “chkdsk c: / f” and press the enter key.
- Now, hit “Y” to confirm the disc scan.
- The disc scanning procedure will begin, and you will be alerted whether there is a problem with the hard drive or if everything is in order.
- When the disc scan is finished, check to see if the problem is still there or if it has been addressed.
5.Start Steam as Administrator.
Let’s try running Steam as an administrator to see whether the problem persists or disappears. To be able to view all folders and files, you must grant Steam full access.
If access is denied, the warning “Steam Content File Locked” appears. Follow the procedures below to see whether the problem is resolved.
- The first step is to right-click on the Steam icon and choose “Properties.”
- The Properties box will now appear, and you must select the” Compatibility” tab.
- There will now be a “Run as Administrator” option. Put a checkmark next to it.
- Now, click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Launch Steam and watch what happens.
6.Turn off antivirus software.
An antivirus might be the source of the problem. This may obstruct your work; therefore, consider deactivating the antivirus till you update the game, after which you may re-enable it.
It is simple to disable antivirus software. Navigate to the Antivirus dashboard and seek the Disable option.
Disable for at least 30 minutes. Alternatively, you may look for guidance on the antivirus site to disable the antivirus that you are now using.
So there you have it, a few methods for dealing with Steam Content File Locked. So, correctly implement the methods listed above to resolve the issue.
Note: If none of the techniques above have helped you, we recommend utilizing a Restore Repair Tool to analyze the repositories and restore corrupt and missing data.
This works in the majority of situations where a corrupted system causes the problem. Restore will additionally tweak your system to ensure peak performance. So those are the top 6 methods for overcoming a locked content file on Steam. Keep an eye out for more fascinating stories, and don’t forget to share this one with your friends. Hasta la vista. You can fix the Steam Content File Locked by following the guide given above.